Wednesday 13 November 2013

Weaving a bear!

I have loved soft toys my whole life, I must of had more teddies in my life than people I have known! Years ago my mum made a couple, and they now reside in my studio on the bookcase. I have been looking at them lately and last month I got myself a bear making kit. The picture below shows my progress so far. It's progress was stunted as a didn't have the correct pliers to bend the clotter pins (I've order some now though!)


After seeing the teddy bear weaving thread on the rigid heddle weaving group on ravelry I was stunned at the quality of bear everyone manage to make out of their own weaving! They were fantastic! So I have decided to have a go myself. The pattern I am going to use I bought from S Reetz bears on etsy and is a primitive pattern but very cute! Here is a picture of the bear from her etsy page.


I wanted my weaving to be as fur like as possible but to still have a worn look to it, so the bear could look vintage. This meant that I used a boucle yarn for my weft (Drops alpaca boucle) and I used a plain yarn for my warp (drops alpaca 4 ply). I am hoping to make more than one bear so I wove 30cm x ~25cm of each colour of boucle.



Once the fabric was off the loom I soaked it in hot water and put it on for a spin in the washing machine, followed by the tumble dryer. This really helped fluff up the boucle, however this was made redundant as I the ironed on interfacing! I had asked the lovely people of the rigid heddle loom group for advice on sewing the bear, and what to do about fraying. There advice was interfacing and zig-zag stich around the pieces, so this is what I did!

This photo shows the interfacing with the pieces drawn on and sewn around

The view from the boucle side!

The pieces after they had been cut out! No fraying!

I then went on to follow the pattern but I think I made an error. In order for the bear to have a better shape when turned the right way, I trimmed down the seem allowance and cut through the zig-zig, so I am afraid that some ends have come through whilst I was stuffing it! But never mind I will adjust that on my next bear! so here is my finished bear :)



I had so much fun making this bear and I cant wait to make the next two! I hope you have enjoyed reading about it.

Lastly I have no idea what to name him! He looks very much like the bear my older brother has had since he was a baby which was called bluey but I think I want a slightly more creative name! Any ideas?

Happy weaving xx

No comments:

Post a Comment