Monday 16 December 2013

Spinning techniques!

I must admit, I have never really thought about what I'm doing when I spin colourful fibre. I've been watching Felecia Lo spinning with colour on craftsy and decided to tackle a fibre that had very bright colours that I didn't like and try to tone it down by the way that I spin it. I thought I would just have a practice, so I only used a piece from the roving. I simply pulled of a peice from the side. 



The picture doesn't really do the colour justice! It's almost fluorescent! Anyway, I spit it into the bluey green and the yellow, then held them together as I spun.


This gave a barber pull yarn.


I then Navajo plied the yarn and it came out a much more green yarn. Optical blending! It's much less garish than it was before! I'm really happy with the result!





Now I just need a zoom loom to make little squares from all my handspun sample! Then I'll be able to make a handspun sample blanket :P

Happy spinning! 

Ps my latest weaving should come off the loom tomorrow! :) 



 


No comments:

Post a Comment