Thursday 20 February 2014

A book binding break

So last week was a little holiday for me, I needed it badly. I am feeling much happier, although I seemed to have spent the week fighting a bug. I guess that's just what happens when you start to relax. I enjoyed jumping back on top of my little business on Monday but I really enjoyed the week off! 

I have been trying to give myself other hobbies, other than weaving, as I have kinda turned weaving into work. So I have started to write, I'm bad at writing but it's fun. I'm writing a short children's story. So it's just a light descriptive book. I need to teach myself not to be really concise like university taught me to be.
At the same time I am drawing little illustrations to accompany the story. I'm not sure what style of drawing I want to do but I like kawaii manga best :)

Thirdly I've been bookbinding, I sewed my first A5 spine. And bound it in book cloth. The book cloth is a orangey beige colour, it looked like a sandy yellow on the website when I bought it. I guess that's the problem with buying online. But anyway I'm chuffed with it!



Now I am playing with the idea of embroidering fabric, turning it into book cloth, which I saw a 'how-to' on damasklove.com. I only had white fabric so I've stained it with tea, Yorkshire tea.





It worked out but I decided not to use it as the cover of the book! I also tried to distress it with inks and sandpaper! 


1 comment:

  1. How very clever. Never thought of binding the books and embroidering fabric as a cover before - I believe a rethink is in order ;)
    http://fairytaleprettypicture.co.uk

    ReplyDelete