Friday 18 October 2013

Interweave webinar with Robyn Spady - Deciphering the Drawdown: Understanding Weaving Drafts

Last night I had my first webinar experience. It was held by interweave and was all about understanding drafts. Robyn Spady was our teacher for the night and she was extremely good at explaining everything.
As a novice weaver, it wasn't until a couple of weeks ago that I had managed to make any sense of a draft but even then it took me a while to be sure that I really did know what I was about to do. But now thanks to Robyn I can read drafts from foreign books! Language is no longer a barrier for me to understand drafts! We were even taught how to understand drafts that were hand written back in the 19th century!!! Amazing, I have to say I would love to weave from a draft so old, seeing the hand writing and wondering about who wrote it and what their life was like! (History can be so exciting!).
One of my favourite bits was Name Drafting: a simple way of designing a unique weave by assigning letters to your shafts. She explains very well how to do it and how to manipulate the draft into a working one!
I had a go myself straight after the webinar (they need some work but its a start!):
This is Heather Swift

and this one is Merry Christmas


So my review of the webinar is that it was fantastic! If you want to understand drafts and feel that no draft will ever stump you in the future I really recommend downloading it! It isn't up on the website yet but I recommend watching this space for it!
Also check out Robyn's blog too!

No comments:

Post a Comment